At this stage after a mineral ore that is refined inserted into the machine agitator tank which is usually also called a flotation cell to produce a pulp slurry concentrate.Distilled water provision inserted into the flotation cell flotation machine is then run, examined the amount of initial pH and initial temperature. In the flotation tank, stirring with impellers, which are intended to produce turbulent motion of fluids (pulp), so that when inserted air flow will form air bubbles.In the pulp is then coupled collector-1,-2 collector and frother; flotation machine run back to the time varying adjustment, and examined the amount of the final pH and final temperature.
In the process flotation reagent which in use is a form of lime, bubble and collectors. Froth forming a bubble that is stable and that float to the surface as a froth flotation cell. Collector reagents react with the surface of the precious metal sulfide mineral particles making the surface is water repellent. surface of the mineral-bound water molecule is released and will be changed to hydrophobic.
Thus the collector end of the hydrophobic molecules will be bound hydrophobic molecules from the bubble, so the mineral ore can be adrift. Collector has a molecular structure similar to the detergent hydrophobic sulfide mineral grains are attached to the air bubbles that rise from the slurry zone into the froth that floats on the surface of cells.
In the flotation process of air bubbles formed initially has small size and some are attached to the surface of mineral particles. Furthermore, another air bubble formed next to join the existing air bubbles and form air bubbles with a larger size, so as to have sufficient lift to lift mineral particles to the surface. The mechanism of attachment of mineral particles in the air bubbles inside the tank during the flotation process flotation occurs when the hydrodynamic forces and the forces of interaction between mineral particles with air bubbles, resulting in collisions with air bubbles and mineral particles occurs attachment of mineral particles with air bubbles.
Collisions that occur can take place several times, before the attachment of mineral particles to air bubbles.There are three elements that play a role in the flotation process of mineral particles, namely: liquid (pulp) as the flotation media, solid particles (minerals) and air bubbles. Based on the law of Thermodynamics II stated that a process will occur spontaneously if the free energy in a system having a negative value, the system will achieve optimum stability if its free energy is at the lowest level (Currie, 1973).
From the results of bubble froth flotation process that resembles a colored foam detergent concentrate metallic ores carrying gold - copper mineral-laden is then up to the tub shelter, and foam concentrate that has been lifted from the drain into the upper lip and into the trough flotation machine is in use as a valuable mineral collection
- Particle size on flotation process should be quite small, usually smaller than 65 # (205 μm).
- Viscosity mud (pulp) while the flotation process takes place in the flotation cell typically ranges from 25% to 45% solids. Viscosity is too high can lead to bubbles is difficult to lift up, but the viscosity is too low will reduce the capacity.
- In the process of flotation of air bubbles must be sufficiently large and stable so as to lift solid particles up to the lip of the cell. Air bubble is stable, meaning not easily broken and very dependent on the type and amount of frother used.
- Surface of solid particles that will float must be hidrofobi, while that will not float must be hydrophilic. These properties can be achieved by adding an appropriate flotation reagents.
- Use of reagent should be appropriate quantity and needs, and added at the right time.
- When used in flotation cells equipped with impller, then spin the impeller at the time of flotation process should be made in such a manner as not to break up air bubbles that have been plastered by hidrofobi particles.